Does Baking Soda Help Acne? – The Secret Ingredient in Your Kitchen You Didn’t Know
If you have blackheads, pimples, and acne scars with all the medications and other remedies to cure acne that it’s time to try something new, natural, and effective as baking soda. Wonder how does baking soda help acne?
Acne is one of the most common and widespread skin problems that men and women alike suffer from at some point. It is caused my hormonal imbalances, oily or dry skin, harsh or expired beauty products, comedogenic lotions, foods, or medication.
Some people are able to clear acne easily and for good, while others have to face it (no pun intended!) for years spending a lot of money on expensive treatments without finding the right cure for them.
However, sometimes, the right remedy is simple, cheap, and is right under your nose, in your kitchen. You’ve used baking soda to baking delicious sweets, but did you know that it helps acne and heals your scars? How sweet is that?
In this article, you will learn what baking soda is, how it works on your skin, what it does to acne. As a special bonus, we’re prepared a couple of Baking soda recipes for acne that you can try at home.
What is Baking Soda?
Baking soda (do not confuse it with baking powder) is actually sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3. It is a white crystalline salt, lightly salty and alkaline. The mineral form of sodium bicarbonate is nahcolite and it is naturally found in mineral springs.
It is largely used as a leavening agent, reacting with acidic ingredients and releasing instead carbon dioxide which makes batters grow and double the volume.
Sodium bicarbonate is used medically as:
- antacid, to treat heartburns and indigestio
- antiallergenic - to treat reactions to poisonous plants as poison ivy or oak.
- supplement for speed runner athletes
You can also find it in:
- Toothpaste to remove buildup plaque and to whiten the teeth
- Mouthwashes to cleanse gums, neutralize the acidity, and as mild antiseptic
- Deodorants, as disinfectant and odor neutralizer
How Baking Soda Helps Acne?
Restores Your Skin’s Natural pH Level
Probably the most important action that baking soda has on your acne-prone skin is to re-balance it to its normal pH level. Acne (along with bacteria and yeast) strive only in a highly acidic medium. That is why, returning your skin to its slightly acidic level it’s a very important step in clearing up your acne.
Gently Exfoliates Your Dead Skin
Baking soda powder is just what your skin needs to shed your dead cells so it helps your skin regenerate faster. Plus, the dead cells won’t clog your pores and trigger even more pimples.
Absorbs Excess Oil
Sodium bicarbonate can absorb excess oil from your skin and rinse it off with water.
Cleanses the Pores
Baking soda fine particles cleanse the accumulated dirt, oil, and dead skin cells trapped in the pores. It leaves the pores clean, prevents future blemishes and pimples, and let the new skin layers appear on the surface.
Soothes Irritation and Redness
Due to its alkalinity, baking soda calms down and soothes your irritation and reduces redness.
Stops Bacteria and Microbes
Also, thanks to its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties, it can stop bacteria and microbes overgrowth, preventing infections.
Dries Out Pimples
If you dab baking soda exactly on a pimple in the evening, you will notice in the morning how it has beginning to dry and fade away.
Baking soda stimulates the production of collagen fibers that are able to accelerate acne scars healing and new skin growth.
Heals Acne Scars Fast
Acne scars are quickly healed, as baking soda has anti-inflammatory effects on wounds and minor lesions like acne.
How to Use Baking Soda for Acne?
Simple Baking Soda Mask for Acne
As simple as this common kitchen ingredient is, as effective and easy to use is against acne. You only need:
- 1 part baking soda
- 1 part water
Depending on the surface with acne you have to cover (face, shoulders, back, etc.) you can always remember this easy measurement 1 to 1. For example, 1 tablespoon baking soda – 1 tablespoon water; 1 cup baking soda – 1 cup water and so on.
How to prepare it?
Mix the two simple ingredients that you can find literally anywhere until you make a sort of paste (baking soda won’t dissolve in water, it will still be abrasive).
How to apply it?
1. Take some paste with the fingers and gently apply it on the acne covered region.
2. Rub it gently on your face, without pressing it onto your skin, in circular motions. If you have sensitive or painful cysts, be extra gentle and careful.
3. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, while you iron your clothes, read a book, check your emails and respond, or read an article about the superpowers of Green Tea against acne.
4. After you finished the article and you think of a new combination of baking soda and green tea for your next day, go and rinse your face with warm water.
5. Your face looks brighter now, isn’t it? It may have a light redness on some spots (maybe you rubbed it too hard, told you not to) but don’t worry, it will go away pretty soon, after you apply a natural moisturizer, preferably a natural oil, such as jojoba oil or coconut oil. Both they do wonders for your skin, especially if it’s sensitive.
2 in 1 Baking Soda and Oil Facial Mask for Acne
- 1 part baking soda
- 1 part cold pressed vegetable oil (such as Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, or Coconut Oil)
This recipe allows you to merge two steps into one, as you won’t need to apply a moisturizer after this mask. The oil does its deed.
How to Prepare It
1. Mix the two ingredients
2. Apply it on your face, gently. Don’t rub it too harsh on your skin.
3. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes while you relax in your bed with dim lights, ambiental relaxing music, and an aromatherapy candle with lavender oil. It does wonder for your skin, emotions, and mind. Peace.
4. In a state of total bliss and relaxation, with a huge smile on your funny smeared face, go to the bathroom and rinse your skin with warm water.
5. Your face will be left moisturized. Only damp it with a soft paper towel.
3 in 1 Baking Soda, Jojoba Oil and Essential Oil
Following the previous recipe:
1. Just add 1-2 drops of an acne-fighting essential oil such as essential Tea tree oil, essential Lavender Oil, or Essential Lemon Oil (or a combination of all 3) in the Jojoba oil.
2. Mix well.
3. Add baking soda.
4. Apply on your face.
Honey and Baking Soda Mask
- 1 part baking soda
- 1 part raw organic honey
- Optionally: 1 drop of tea tree essential oil or lavender essential oil
How to Prepare it
1. Mix the ingredients. Add a little bit of water to make it thinner and easier to apply, if needed.
2. Apply it on your skin without rubbing.
3. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Play a game and try not to lick your lips, even if you’re very tempted. Yummy, right? You lost!
4. Rinse it off with warm water (if there’s anything left after you licked it from your lips).
Tips on Using Baking Soda
1. Don’t apply pressure when you rub it on your face, as it might cause redness or micro-wounds that can get infected. Just be gentle.
2. Don’t apply pressure when you rub it on your face, as it might cause redness or micro-wounds that can get infected. Just be gentle.
3. It’s better to use baking soda 2-3 times a week. However, some use it every day for a couple of months, until their face is clear and smooth. For some types of skin, it might be overdrying or it may trigger pimples, especially if they don’t follow it with a moisturizer. Make sure you apply a moisturizer on your skin afterward, or better, a natural oil.
4. Your skin’s natural pH is slightly acidic. Using only baking soda on your skin it may damage your natural pH, making it too alkaline that it needs to be. That is why you should couple it or follow it with a non-comedogenic, moisturizing oil like jojoba oil or virgin coconut oil.
5. Don’t get easily discouraged and don’t expect a miracle overnight. Well, unless you’re a saint or avatar and talk with God 24/7. So, because you are who you are and you’re perfect just the way you are, put the baking soda on your face humbly and patiently. Baking soda works in mysterious ways, and if you apply it persistently long enough to see results your efforts will be repaid with clear skin and pretty complexion. In 2-3 months you will be able to see a remarkable difference.
Acne can be hard to overcome, but with the right diet, a harmonious lifestyle, natural remedies to restore your hormonal balance, and with the proper skin care regimen you can see clear skin in the mirror.
Definitely, baking soda helps acne by cleansing the skin, unclogging the pores, making blackheads go away, shedding the dead cells, accelerating the regeneration process and healing the scars.