Does Vitamin C Help Acne? –5 Amazing Homemade Recipes with Natural Vitamin C for Acne
Acne is a problem for many adults, women and men alike, not only teenagers. Difficult to treat and keep in control, acne can be worsened by chemical products available on the market. That is why more and more people turn to natural solutions like Vitamin C. Does vitamin C help acne?
There’s no secret. Vitamin C is a natural, easily available, inexpensive, safe, and efficient way to help acne. Vitamin C can be found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.
It has been in our face all along, right in our kitchen. Just we didn’t know it’s there and we ignored it. But things are going to start right now, with this article.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is a nutrient soluble in water and a potent antioxidant. Our body is not designed to produce it or to store it, therefore, we must serve it daily to your body from food.
Oxidation is one key enemy in the battle against acne. Once you get your hands on the right weapons – antioxidants – the victory is yours. The skin gets cleared.
Among the many potent antioxidants is vitamin C, the top 1 water-soluble antioxidant in our diet and the most fragile one. It is sensitive to heat, light, and oxygen.
That is why, when we consume foods with a high vitamin C content, we have to consume it on the spot, fresh, without cooking it or storing it for too long. Use gentle and quick cooking methods that preserve the most of Vitamin C such as steaming or wok.
One important thing to keep in mind is that our body is not designed to store vitamin C and that is why we have to keep replenishing our body with vitamin C daily. Eat them right after cutting, blending, or juicing them.
- Antioxidant (protects the body and skin from free radicals, neutralizing them)
- Helps to assimilate iron
- Boosts the immunity
- Defends the body and skin against bacteria and viruses
- Reduces tiredness in the body
- Stimulates the nervous system to function at the highest parameters
- It is involved in the process of collagen production (collagen “bind” together like an elastic our skin, bones, blood vessels, gums, teeth together)
- Helps and contributes to wound and scar healing
- Helps vitamin E production
How Does Vitamin C Help Acne?
Vitamin C helps you fight against acne in many ways:
- Stimulates the collagen production in the skin and tissues
- Protects your skin from oxidation, fighting against those tiny, naughty, free radical rascals
- Supports the health of adrenal glands
- Stimulates wounds and acne scars healing
- Stimulates skin regeneration
- Helps retain moisture in the skin, prevent dryness, itchiness, dullness of skin
- Stops inflammatory processes
- Reduces the high levels of stress hormone (cortisol)
- Helps balance hormones
Not All Vitamin Cs Are Alike
Before swallowing or smearing on your face vitamin C supplements which may be filled with artificial colorants, preservatives, sugar, artificial sweeteners, or other skin damaging chemicals, let’s see what are the safest, and most efficient forms of vitamin C that can fight against acne and help your skin, and even boost your overall health.
One very popular form of vitamin C is found under the name of Ascorbic Acid. This is just a synthetic, isolated, lab-produced form of vitamin C. If you didn’t know it already, our body can’t assimilate a synthetic form of nutrient and it can be even harmful to your health.
Ascorbic acid does kill bacteria and microbes, but the problem is that it can’t tell the good, friendly, necessary ones from the bad, dangerous, harmful ones. Plus, it damages the natural, beneficial gut bacteria.
Moreover, it is synthesized from corn syrup, and we know that most crops are genetically modified.
The Best Source of Vitamin C is in Food
The easiest, safest, most efficient way to give your body and skin the healthy daily dose of vitamin C is from food. You can consume it fresh, dried, or powder.
Highest Vitamin C Foods to Include in Your Diet and Help Acne Disappear
Contrary to what you’ve been told until now, that citrus fruits are the best source of vitamin C, truth is that one cup of papaya, strawberries, broccoli, or bell pepper exceed the amount of vitamin C in a single orange.
Check out this inforgraphic for more details about vitamin C contents.
How to Use Vitamin C for Acne Relief
Vitamin C Heals Acne from Inside Out
First of all, you have to bring your overall health back from inside out, in order to treat acne. Don’t be superficial, skin-deep only, if you want to eradicate acne completely. Go for the cause, which may be rooted deep inside your body.
- For that, start by taking your daily dose of vitamin C especially from your diet, consuming fresh food with a high vitamin C content.
- Also, you can also supplement your diet with natural products available in health stores. Read the labels, compare them, pay attention to prices and quantities and make your informed choice.
- You can also make it at home from dried fruits, veggies or herbs with high vitamin C content ground finely into powder. Combine them in a big jar, keep it in the fridge, and take your daily dose of vitamin C one spoon at a time.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice with water, early in the morning is another way.
- Making juices and smoothies is another great option.
5 Amazing DIY Acne Treatments with Vitamin C
Apply on your skin natural masks, serums, gels, lotions from natural sources of vitamin C from the list we provided.
Beauty Vitamin C Mask for Acne
- 1-2 tablespoons of high content Vitamin C fruits or veggies puree
- Bentonite clay enough to make a paste
- Mix all the ingredients until they are combined and then apply it on your face in a thick delicious layer. Yummy!
- Blend the vitamin C goodies.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
Tutty Fruity Vitamin C Serum for Acne
- Dark bottle with dropper
- 2 teaspoons of dried powder from any available fruits, veggies or herbs
- 4 tablespoon distilled water
- Mix the ingredients in the bottle and stir well. Leave it for 24 hours so that the vitamin C is infused into the water.
- Apply this vitamin C natural serum daily.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- You can store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Natural Vitamin C and Aloe Vera Gel for Acne
- 1 teaspoon of Vitamin C Natural Powder
- 1 teaspoon distilled water
- 1 teaspoon fresh Aloe vera gel
- Optional: 1 drop Lavender essential oil or Frankincense essential oil
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Apply gently on your face without rubbing it on your skin.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
Vitamin C Green Tea Splash for Acne
- 1/2 teaspoon vitamin C powder
- 4 teaspoons of Green tea liquid
- Prepare a concentrated Green tea with 2 teaspoons of Green tea at 100 ml of warm water. Let it chill to your body temperature.
- Add the vitamin C powder and stir to combine.
- Apply it on your skin generously and leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse if off with warm water.
Colloidal Silver and Vitamin C Treatment for Acne
- 1 teaspoon vitamin C powder
- 2 teaspoons of Colloidal Silver
- Optional: Lavender essential Oil
- Mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Apply on your face, leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that can be found in abundance in natural sources for us to use. Mother Nature has given us exactly what we need to cure our health problems.
The beauty of it all is that we can prepare our own treatments at home, using fruits, vegetables and herbs with a high content of Vitamin C, which proved to fight against skin cellular oxidation, reduce inflammation, irritation, and dryness of the skin, stimulate the collagen production, heal acne scars and help the skin regenerate and repair.
Does vitamin C help acne? Vitamin C provides us exactly what we need to get rid of acne, from inside out and from outside as well.